18 Januar 2009

Bogong Cup Day 5: Olis Birthday Flight- 123km



Today Oli had one of his big dreams fulfilled with flying to Feathertop for the first time as a Bogong Cup task. It kept us well out of airspace, so we could use the much higher and nicer lift today to fly around 3 turnpoints.
Take off was my favourite cliff start, Mount Buffalo. It only has one disadvantage- lack of set up space. I was 15th off and had to set up down in the trees. For a small person like me it is superstressful to get across huge rocks with harness and glider - not today! Davis was last off (he scored 0 yesterday for having been in the controled airspace to high and long), so he pushed, and I panicked, asked for help. My teammate Ky, our driver Michael and my good friend Conrad carried my glider and me up to take off, even though they had to get ready themselves! Also Curtis offered help - I was very impressed and very happy to see that it is not just "competition" over here, but a lot more. That way, I had enough energy for a powerful, safe take off, so thanks a lot guys!
Jonny took a photo of me taking off, I hope I can post that later! He is way cool, taking off, then just taking some photos of us other pilots taking off, filming a bit, then getting on course - and of course, winning the day again!
Feathertop deep in the high Australian Alps was our first turnpoint, followed by Mt Porepunkah and Dederang in the Kiewa, then heading back to Mt Beauty Airstrip. Oli came in second, Curt 3rd, Lukas 5th, me 10th and Jonas 12, so the whole team Germany in goal. Also Scott, Gerolf, Nic, Phil, Blenky, Artur, 20 people made goal today after a very scenic flight. Jonas reported lift of 10m/s!
Davis is racing in his Litesport, he would have been in the top 10 yesterday had he not been penalized, and he was 15th in today. Makes you wonder if we should go back to kingpost gliders ;)
After two days, Oli is in 3rd, Lukas in 5th and Im in 9th. Keep your fingers crossed that we will have another 4 great flying days like today. Looking good for tomorrow anyway.
By the way, I came 15th yesterday and won a great bottle of Annapurna Estate Chardonnay... Heather and Carol have done a great job finding sponsors for the competition - they are calling for a big party in the end, as I can´t take that beautiful wine back home around the world with me, as Im already in trouble with overweight luggage.

Keine Kommentare: