23 August 2021

Cucco last task: 150km around 3 trunpoints to Spoleto, and Awards!

Results task 4 Results overall

Saturday was the last comp day, and we were promised even better weather than the day before. The organizers set an ambitious 150km task - telling us to speed up to be back for the award ceremony in time ;) 

I was really happy to see such a big number on the taskboard, cause I like long flights very much! It´s been many years since I´ve seen Spoleto from the air.

I took off early again, but the promised 3000m turned into a not quite 2000m boundary layer, with a wind stronger than the day before. The first 30km of the flight were the toughest, going through really bad lee side turbulence, in the blue, trying to grab every little bit of lift I could. Half way down to Gualdo Tadino, finally the clouds formed, and we could get a decent height. 

The furthest southern turnpoint at Spoleto was a long glide out and back to the ridge, so it took a bit of rodeo again to get up and face a bloody headwind, as usual, going up north.  And as expected, I ended up on my own again for about 80 km. It didn´t matter, I was happy to fly high along the clouds and didn´t care too much about my time - it was my last flight in the area for  a while, and I wanted to celebrate every minute of it! I was rewarded with the best views ever - the air was so clear that I could see both sides of the coast of Italy when I was at 3000m! No, I´m sure it wasn´t hypoxia ;)

In goal, I basically collapsed, cause the zipper of my harness didn´t want to close properly and only went up to my knees, so the whole 5 hours of flying were a bit uncomfortable. But who cares. 

Many happy faces at the awards. Our top German pilot Roland Wöhrle finished 5th, then I explained to Mario Alonzi in 4th place why Tomas Suchanek called it "Potato medal", Christian Ciech in 3rd did a great jump up with his amazing, fast task win on the last day. Filippo finished second, and a superhappy Marco Laurenzi was celebrated by his fan club like a rockstar!

Andrea Fusi won the sports class award, Konrad Baumgartner won rigid class. 

I finished 16th overall, had a great time and am looking forward to the Europeans at Cucco next year! Flavio and his large support group did an excellent job to offer us pilots a safe and fun competition. It felt great to race the sky again with my friends from all over the world!

Special thanks to my friend Rebi - without her dedication, I would have probably not dared to go. She was not just a committed driver, but helped me on take off and after landing. Driving back on Sunday in the main holiday season meant a painful 14 hour drive for me, and about 18 hours for her, despite having started at 3am in Sigillo already. 

And, last but not least, thanks to Moyes for that sweet little RX3 pro that just keeps climbing like a rocket! So much fun to fly that beautiful wing!














 

Keine Kommentare: