16 August 2007

Magic happens! 6. Aufgabe




Yesterday we had the most difficult flying conditions so far. Soon after Lisa towed me into the air, a cloud cover moved in and we all just tried to flee from the shadow, trying to stay up by any means.
I didnt dare going to the big gaggle, since the visibility was poor and there were even reports of cloud flying, so I soon found myself on my own on the way to the first turnpoint. My team mates were far ahead, helping me to find some way around and through the shaded areas. Nevertheless, I got really low about 20km to the first turnpoint. A drifty thermal took me back up to a decent height, but also showed me a significant headwind towards the turnpoint.
Heading forwards I got really low again, I had about 3 circles time before I would have had to land- and the magic happened, I found some lift and stayed in it, even though it was pushing me around horizontally. I was 800m from the turnpoint when I hit the thermal, and 4km away when I had 1200m above the ground again... Jörg was above me, telling me I wasnt the only one who has not yet made the turnpoint, he is really good at giving me strength and patience at the right moment.
I was the last pilot of my team to make the turnpoint, the others were in front and gave me valuable information about the next thermals. Suddenly, about 20km from the 2nd turnpoint, Lukas and Roland called out weak conditions, the shade had moved in again. They could only glide towards the turnpoint and land.
Hans and I were warned to stay as high as possible, taking any lift we could find. Still I found myself extremely low above the hangars of our airfield-turnpoint and called my team leader Regina for help, asked her to create some lift for Hans and me. She started a thermal-Haka immediately, whirling around on the ground underneath us. The Japanese pilots on the ground watched her in amazement, but when they heard it was to help me, they all joined into Reginas magical dance – and yes, it worked, giving Hans, Michi Friesenbichler and me the last thermal of the day!
We were still some 25km away from goal when we finally had to land, fighting for every meter to get some points for our team. Hans and I landed in a cotton field, luckily there were no rattle snakes.
Apparently only a few pilots went further, nobody made goal, Dan the Czech won the day ahead of Alex Ploner, Primoz and Mike Barber. Looks like thanks to my team, teamleader and the Japanese pilots I ended up 5th of the day, my best result ever in a high profile comp like this one.

Gestern hatten wir die bisher schwierigsten Flugbedingungen der WM. Kurz nachdem Lisa mich in der Luft abgesetzt hatte, kamen hohe Wolkenfelder hereingezogen und verlangsamten die Thermik. Mit viel Geduld gelang es uns, auf den wenigen Sonnenflecken zu halten, bis sich das Startgate öffnete.
Ich blieb dem großen Pulk lieber fern, denn über Funk hörte ich einige Berichte von Wolkenfliegen, und da es eh sehr diesig war, wollte ich kein Risiko eingehen. Das bedeutete leider auch, daß ich den Anschluß verpaßte und alleine auf weiter Flur Themik finden mußte. Schnell waren die anderen vom Team 10 bis 20km vor mir, gaben mir hilfreiche Tipps, wo es weitergehen könnte.
Auf 20km vor der Wende war ich das erste Mal sehr tief, fand aber nochmal eine Thermik und stellte fest, daß ich mit einem 30er Gegenwind zu tun hatte... wie schön, daß ich einen schnellen kleinen Drachen und 6 kg Ballast hatte! Nochmehr Geduld erforderte es, als ich 800m vor der Wende in tiefsten Tiefen grundelte und schließlich schwaches Steigen fand, daß mich allerdings horizontal versetzte und mich wieder 4km von der Wende wegtrug. In diesem Moment sprach Jörg mir Mut zu, er war ein paar hundert Meter über mir und sagte, daß einige noch nicht die Wende hatten. Also geduldig weiterfliegen.
Lukas und Roland berichteten von weiter vorne, daß sie nur noch abgleiten konnten, alles war im Schatten. Also hieß es hoch bleiben um jeden Preis und abwarten, ob sich nicht doch noch irgendwo die Sonne zeigte. Regina wartete an der zweiten Wende auf uns Spätflieger, doch Hans und ich waren ganz tief, wieder kurz vor der Landung. Da fing Regina an, wie ein Derwisch über den Flugplatz zu wirbeln, zum Erstaunen der schon gelandeten Japaner. Als sie erklärte, sie wolle eine Themik für mich auslösen, haben auch die Japaner begeistert mitgeholfen- und tatsächlich bewegte sich bald ein Lüftchen nach oben!
Hans, Michi Friesenbichler und ich konnten noch einmal ein paar Meter aufsteigen und danach Richtung Ziel abgleiten, etwa 25km vor dem 169km-Ziel landeten wir, nachdem wir um jeden Kilometer und jeden Punkt gekämpft hatten, in einem Baumwollfeld. Zum Glück ohne Klapperschlangen...
Der Tscheche Dan gewann den Tag vor Alex Ploner, Primoz und Mike Barber, und dank meines Teams, Regina und einiger japanischer Piloten bin ich in der Tageswertung auf einem unglaublichen 5. Platz geflogen!

1 Kommentar:

Carlos Rizo MD hat gesagt…

Dear Corina,

Every morning I wake up, turn on my laptop, and cross my fingers hopeful to find a new entry on your blog, one of my favorites. From wherever you are, Australia, Europe, the US, I've seen the word through your words and pictures and I am very thankful. Your trials and tribulations at the Worlds plus your brilliant performance have me hooked than ever before. I am happy to say I am a addicted to your blog. A cup of Colombian coffee for you (do you drink coffee?)

Carlos

Cheers from Canada