1. When you get your ticket on LH500, you contact Lufthansa reservations and you let them know that you will have oversized sporting equipment, a hang glider, and you give them the number and dimensions of the glider packages.
The maximum weight per piece is 32kg, but the length when you check in in Frankfurt is NOT limited.
PS- if you get a ticket in Premium Economy class, you might get lucky and get an upgrade, because the Rio flights usually overbook in Economy, so they need to bump up the Premium Eco passengers! Also, in Premium Economy you have 2x23kg luggage allowance, in Eco it is only 1x23kg! But even with a Business Class ticket you need to pay extra for your oversized glider.
3. Get to the airport early, at least 4 hours before take off, so the gliders´ transport can be perfectly prepared. There will be several teams travelling between 31st of July and 4th of August. You can check your luggage in any time until 24hours before your take off time!
4. In Frankfurt, you go to Terminal 1, area B - you can park at departures 10 minutes for free, after that you have to pay.
Take your gliders to the Lufthansa oversize luggage counter in area B, counter #445.
For check-in you need:
- your passport
- a printout of the confirmation that you paid 200€ and that your glider has been listed/registered for your flights
5. When you arrive in Rio, your glider will be delivered next to the luggage belt of your flight.
6. RENT A CAR in Rio to drive to Brasilia! Our Lufthansa station manager of Rio urged me to tell all pilots that you can´t take your gliders on inland flights within Brazil anymore! No regional airlines will take oversized luggage!
Have a good trip!